Tuesday, November 27, 2007

WWJB?

There's a new movie coming out by Morgan Spurlock, the guy who made Supersize Me. It's called What Would Jesus Buy? Just looking at the ads, I'm not sure I relate to the Reverend Billy with his white suit and platinum blond hair or to his Church of Stop Shopping Gospel Choir. But then, I'm not his target audience since I own neither flat screen TV nor ATV.

Just the question What Would Jesus Buy? brings up questions in my mind. Was Jesus concerned with global economics or the hearts of men? Would he be disappointed in the way we've turned a holiday in his memory into a commercial extravaganza? He overturned tables in the temple, upset that God's house had been turned into a den of thieves, yet he paid taxes and told others to do so, too.

I have another question for you, much less thought provoking, but we'll call it research for a current project.

If you had $8000 fall in your lap that you could blow any way you wanted to, what would you do with it? Don't be responsible here-- no paying down the mortgage or helping out the poor. You have to blow the whole wad on yourself.

How would you spend $8000?

3 comments:

Greg Bailey said...

No doubt. I would spend the money on a mission trip, likely to Benin, bolivia or Rwanda.

Shelli said...

I would finish my master bath, buy Aaron a Dirt Bike, an airline ticket to Rwanda, a play structure for Hannah, a couple of new windows in the house, some excavating and a fence in the back yard, a laptop, a new dining set with a china cabinet. I could go on & on...though the money won't.

Anonymous said...

A leg extension in Japan. But I think that would only be enough for one leg. Oh well, it's a start.