Sunday, November 15, 2009

Resolutions

When we moved back to America, we made two resolutions as a family.

1) We promised ourselves we wouldn't get involved in too many activities, especially at night.

2) We determined not to let discussions of how the church should or should not be, or how Christians should or should not act, overshadow talking about Jesus.

Time to assess our success or failure...

1) It's hard to live in America with kids and not get involved in some evening activities. All in all, though, we're home about as many nights as we're out. Now I need to re-resolve to make sure our time at home is used wisely, but I can't make that resolution until this round of the Amazing Race and Survivor are over.

2) This is a toughie. I spend a lot of my energy fretting about how to change situations and people I have no control over. I let myself fall into less challenging conversations with people I know will mostly agree with me. It's time to refocus my words on important topics. It's time to hand over the stuff I can't change and let God work his wonders without my help.

3 comments:

Larry said...

I like the wisdom of #1- we tended to do everything together anyway

I appreciate point #2 I will keep this perspective as my prayer as well thanks for allowing me to refocus

Johnathan M. Thomas said...

I like your #2 challenge. I'm going to give it some good thought.

Papa John said...

OK, Here's my take on your #2.

I know I am usually the maverick on this general topic, but I think there is some hazard in just "dumping our load" on God and waiting to see what happens. I am convinced that God does not need our help to work His wonders, but I am equally convinced that He wants our help and has arranged all things so that our help is important and valuable.

The point in Eph 2:10 appears to me to be that God made us (in/through/by) Christ Jesus to accomplish good works and that He even has prepared the good works for us to do.

We can't count on grace to apply if our faith is lazy, idle, or dead. We do have a place and purpose in God's economy that transcends "letting go and letting God". After all, God seems to do His best wonders in/through/by His children.