Saturday, March 26, 2011

Living Language

If you had the news on for even a second last night, you heard the big news that the Oxford English Dictionary has added words to its tome once again.

The words that made the cut (and the news) are symptoms of our times--LOL, OMG, and couch surfer.

Earlier this week, I heard a radio article on how high schools are trying to keep kids from using these texting abbreviations in their English papers. Turns out kids rule, at least according to Oxford. Of course, a dictionary's purpose is not to determine the value of language, but merely to record it.

Some of the new words in the dictionary this year surprised me. I thought these words would have been in there a long time : headline (as a verb), rototill, and rubberize.

Other words delighted me. It would be so much more awkward to say, "Look at that girl with a pouch of fatty skin sticking out above her pants that are either too tight or too low... or both," than to say, "Check out the muffin top." I'm also happy to see la-la land on the list.

My favorite new word this week, is just new to me, not to the dictionary.

Theodicy.

I'd define it for you, but I bet you can tell what it means just by looking at it. More on that later.

No comments: