Thursday, February 09, 2012

Filling My Bookshelf

I haven't had a lot of time for writing lately, but I have done a bit of editing. Editing, I've got to say, is not a glamorous job. It fits me, though, as I can be a bit of a stickler for grammar, punctuation and spelling. I've got great appreciation for a well-turned phrase or a vivid word picture. And I love to have a hand in turning something with potential into something that is ready to be released into the world. One of the funnest things about editing is seeing my bookshelf fill with projects I've had a hand in bringing to life. Each one holds a special place in my heart, each for a different reason.

The first book I had a hand in taking to print was Jessie: The Story of a Genteel Lady in Frontier Alaska, written by my mom. I designed the cover for her and walked through the whole process of writing, editing, formatting, uploading, and (finally) holding a book in my hands. It was a proud day when that first copy of Jessie arrived in the mail. Mom still gets a thrill out of sharing Jessie's story through her book and I'm still proud of her.


Next came Bon Voyage: Interactive Devotions for the Cruise Ship Traveler, a dandy little devotional book by a very talented friend, Laurie Kuykendall.

Nicodemus is a historical novel about the life of Nicodemus by Keith Farris. Keith went through an in-depth study to put Nicky's story down on paper. His knowledge of 1st  century Jerusalem is evident.

Both Laurie and Keith were members of my writing critique group until last year.

It was my great pleasure to help with Jeanne Stinson's book, I Dream of Jeanne, in which she told stories of her own life. From her earliest memories of living in Africa in the 1920s to her adventures living aboard a boat, she recounted the highs and lows of her life for her friends and family to have something to remember her by, not that we could ever forget this dear, sweet lady. It worked, too. Much of her funeral service was read from these pages in her own words. (And if the cover looks familiar, it's because of all the designs I offered her, she chose the one that looked most like Jessie.)

At the end of last year, I helped edit a book that came out in eformat only, the third in an epic series about the tribes of Shem and Cain before the great flood. It is called The First Apocalypse by Gary Reidl.


A couple of years ago, I edited a book for Heidi St. John called The Busy Homeschool Mom's Guide to Romance: Nurturing Your Marriage Through the Homeschool Years. Next week, her second book will release. This one is called The Busy Homeschool Mom's Guide to Daylight: Managing Your Days Through the Homeschool Years. It was fun to work on both of these books. Heidi inspires me with the way she manages her family of 7 children with energy, humor and grace. I'd say these books are not only for homeschool moms, but for any mom who wants to keep the love alive and who wants ways to organize her world. She's also coming out with a no-pressure journal for busy moms. You can pre-order (with free shipping this week) here.

It's been fun to see my little bookshelf filling with the words of friends who have worked so hard to make their work ready to face the world. I have one other book I hope to add to my shelf next week, but it's not quite ready to reveal . (No, it's not my own. I wish. But I'm almost as excited as if it was.)

Congratulations to all my writer buddies. I'm happy to be part of your writing journey!

No comments: