Saturday, August 04, 2012

Blocked

I can't tell you how many times in the past months I've sat down to write and found myself with nothing to say. If you want to know the truth, I've lost my drive since I lost my audience.

One of the first things you learn when you write for others is how important it is to identify your audience. Who is the one person you are writing for? I had a vague picture of my audience until she was gone.

Mom was the one who always read my blog first. Whenever she turned on her computer, my blog popped up automatically. And she was more likely than not to leave a comment either on the blog or in conversation throughout the day. She came to my writing groups, often with her own writing in hand. Precious pieces of manuscript lay in my file drawer, pieces I labored over to make as good as I could get them--pieces with handwritten notes from Mom that read, "Practically perfect, just like always," and "I love you. -Mom B"

So, who do I write for now? Who is that person who wants to hear what I have to say? Or maybe the question is, "How could anyone ever fill the place of Mom?"

6 comments:

LoveMercy said...

Hi Patty -
I miss your mom also.

You've probably read this A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh quote...made me think of your mom.
“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember.
you are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.
But the most important thing is,
even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.”

Papa John said...

I miss my heart and muse too, daughter, but maybe after we complete our task in Juneau we can try again and use the blogs to release our pent-up flood of thoughts about the angel who once lived among us.

Anonymous said...

It is like some of the points from Ike on Sunday ... You never know who is listening (and what impact that it will have on them), you know who is always listening, it doesn't have to be perfect -- use your gift, make a joyful noise.

B

Unknown said...

Patty, you are an amazing writer. She would be most proud of you to keep on doing what you do so beautifully.

Here are 4 people who love and appreciate your writing!

Sandi said...

Love you, friend.

Linda Judd said...

Patty, take all the time you need. No need to force yourself to write. One day that spark will return, and you will pour your heart out in "practically perfect" words again. I miss your words of wisdom, and will be patiently waiting.