Saturday, October 24, 2015

On Floods and Promises

It took one chapter for God to create the universe, one chapter for him to get mankind settled in the garden, one for mankind to screw up that arrangement and call down curses on farmers and mothers and everyone else.

With such an abbreviated story of beginnings, it's a little surprising that a full five chapters is given to the account of Noah and his family and the flood the killed everyone else. It must be an important story to garner so much real estate. This story hasn't sat well with me a long time. Sure, we decorated the twins' nursery with Noah's ark--what else are you going to use for kids that come two by two?--but even as a child, the idea that man could have been so horrible that God would scrap the whole experiment and start over from scratch brings up a picture of a creator so impatient and so vindictive that he doesn't even resemble the God we know today.

"The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was greatly troubled." He decided to wipe out humans and animals. I know there's mercy in the flood. I know he could have wiped out everyone, but decided to saved one family. I know the entire history of mankind could have lasted less than six chapters. I know he saved the animals through the ark and I know he made a promise with the rainbow, but it doesn't mean I like the story. Floods are such a destructive, violent force, it makes me want to skip that part of the story and hop right to the rainbow.

Isn't that what we've always done? We highlight Noah's righteousness, the building of the ark, the cute animals, the dove and its olive branch. We skip the desperation of people trying to reach high ground, of rivers raging through villages, consuming homes and the families inside, and the awkward part of the story where Noah gets drunk and is found passed out naked in his tent by Ham, who got a good laugh out of it for a minute and then his family was cursed forever.

Dov Landau, Professor of Jewish Literature at Bar Ilan University suggests the story is there to return us to wonderment. In Jewish thought, mankind's ability to question and wonder set the basis for morality. Wonderment brings fear. Fear brings moral restraint. Moral restraint brings religious restraint. Without questions and wonder, morality decays. He also reminds us that death to God is not nearly as permanent as death to us.

And still I am unsatisfied. And so I skip to the end (as usual) where God set a rainbow in the clouds and makes a covenant with Noah--and really with all of us--to never use a flood to destroy the earth again. I took the picture above the other night at sunset. As we drove through town, people stood on every street corner trying to capture the moment of promise on their phones. Some of them might see a rainbow and remember the promise. Others might have rejected the story, or might not even know it. But everyone was drawn to the spectacular display.

Remember? He seems to whisper... I have the power to wipe you out. But I won't. Not now. Not in that way.

I promise.

This week's Torah Portion
Genesis 12:1-17:27
Isaiah 40:27-41:16
Matthew 1:1-17

2 comments:

Diwakar said...

Hello Patty. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I so glad to stop by your blog post and go through it which speaks the power of God but yet His promise which gives us hope and brings deliverance. I am blessed to go through it. I am also honored to get connected with you because of your interest in missions. I may have commented on your earlier posts too but I take this opportunity to share with you the program our church In Mumbai, India has for the young people and the adults from the west who have interest in missions. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 37yrs in the great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. we reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time to work with us. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you. God's richest blessings on you and your family.

Patty said...

Diwakar,

Thank you for the work you are doing in Mumbai. I have long desired to visit India, but have not yet been called to do so. I will continue to pray for God's guidance. Perhaps someday!