Saturday, November 07, 2015

Forgetting to Breathe

I've been on the run this week...all week...and all good. But, as I struggled with early in this year of intentionally paying attention to Old Testament spiritual rhythms, just because something is good does not mean it is best.

What that translates to is I allowed old habits to take over and forgot to carve out any moments to sit still. I've guarded my Saturday mornings to be able to contemplate the text for the week, but this morning I have no time for contemplation. I've filled my day with work, activities, friendship, family, and music. I'm looking forward to almost everything on my list, but I am finding myself missing the quiet morning moments to breathe in the story of God's people.

A frend of mine recently introduced me to yoga. It has been a great alternative exercise during a season when I am not able to run or hike because of an ankle injury. I love the deep stretches and slow movements of the hour we spend working out the kinks in backs, hips, and necks. I often find, though, that until our guide reminds me that I should be breathing out or breathing in with a particular stretch, I have forgotten to breathe at all. When I fill my lungs with air, hold it for a few seconds and breathe it all out, I feel the tension loosen in whatever muscle I am working on. When I hold my breath, I'm a giant ball of knotted tension.

That's how I feel this morning, like I'm holding a stretch and I've forgotten to breathe.

This week, I must remember to breathe. I have a wonderful opportunity for it as I go on a journey with God's people, a retreat with a bunch of church planters. I can't tell you how excited I am to sit with people who live on the front lines of God's advancing kingdom. I anticipate their presence and energy will force me into deeper stretches of my soul.

Have a good week. And don't forget to exhale.

This Week's Torah portion:
Genesis 23:1-25:18
Malachi 1:1-2:7
Luke 3:1-18

Photo via Visual Hunt

No comments: