Sunday, February 25, 2007

Readers of the new Millenium

I always thought you were supposed to put your most important, most eye-catching information at the beginning of an article. In print, that's true. People want to get hooked by the headline to read the first paragraph. Hopefully the first will lead to the second and so on. Come to find out, this rule does not apply if you're writing for an online readership, because online readers don't read, they skim. For them, the second paragraph is key because they assume the first paragraph is a rewording of the headline.

Did your eyes skip to this paragraph first? If so, the theory is correct. (see above)

I guess it's true for me. Most times when I read something online and try to tell someone about it, I find I don't have details to back up what I'm saying.

Me - "Did you hear about the bombing yesterday?"

Husband - "No what happened?"

Me - "Um, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure there was a bombing. Or maybe it was a bomb threat. I'm not sure. But you can look it up."

I'm thinking a symptom of this method of reading is that we've got a lot of people who know a little about a whole lot of subjects rather than people who know a lot about a few subjects. I've got more to say about that, but by now you've quit reading anyway and have moved on to the next blog.

Blah, blah, blah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't skim. I read your first paragraph. I usually don't skim until I feel like I have the gist of what becomes a very long article that I am bored with.

I think that people are lazy, when it comes to reading, and that those who are not, achieve more in life. Or maybe I'm just hoping I can get ahead through diligent reading; doing what others are not willing to do.

Greg Bailey said...

Hey Patty,

I read every word of the things that interest me and skim the things that interest me less.

I enjoy reading your blog. Please hug Edwin and the girls for me.
----Greg