Sunday, June 01, 2008

Rewriting the Rewritten

Somehow the famous history stories of childhood take on a gilded glow.

In fourteen hundred ninety two
Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

Doesn't that sound lovely?

Until someone rewrote history to let us know of the atrocities Europe wreaked on the "New World."

But today I stood on the deck of a replica of the Nina, the ship Columbus sailed back and forth 3 times across the ocean blue and, I've got to say... I'm impressed. Only 66 feet long, with no accommodations for the crew other than a piece of deck and captain's quarters that looked more like a foot locker than a place for the explorers of new lands... there is no way I would have set out on that boat into the unknown. It takes a special sort of chutzpah to take on so dramatic a task.

So, whatever bumps in history the famous voyage brought about, I'm still thankful Cristobal trusted this little ship enough to carry out his exploration. I, for one, love it here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: