Friday, May 30, 2008

The Sounds of Silence

I don't know what your life is like, but I rarely - and I mean RARELY - am alone. In my almost 13 years as a parent, I've only been completely alone a handful of times for more than a few minutes at a time.

Tonight I've had 5 hours, just me and the dog.

It's kind of strange. What do you do with 5 whole hours to yourself? Here's what I did...

  • I planted a few more seeds in the vegetable garden where nothing had sprouted.
  • I killed a few weeds and watered the flowers out front.
  • I put together the church announcement slide show for Sunday.
  • I ate 2 cookies, then went back and ate 2 more, just to make it even.
  • I updated my list of newspapers in Oregon, preparing for a big news release I need to send out tomorrow for an upcoming writers conference.
  • I watched the National Spelling Bee, the only spectator sport I enjoy, probably because it only happens once a year.
  • I picked out the book I'm going to fall asleep to.

Perhaps more telling is what I didn't do...

  • I didn't vacuum, though the living room needs it.
  • I didn't put the boxes up in the shed (I only climb ladders if there's someone around who can dial 9-1-1)
  • I didn't write. I'm actually getting a couple of quiet hours in the morning when I can create.
  • I didn't fix dinner. Imagine. Cookies and popcorn. I couldn't live on it, but it was easy and tasty.
  • I didn't put my clothes away. I'll have to clear them off my side of the bed before I sleep, but they've laid in there all night and haven't said a word.
  • I didn't call my husband... or my mom... or my friends.
  • I didn't go to a store or a movie. I thought about it, but thought that would ruin the effect of being alone.

Some of you are alone a lot. Others, never. What would you do with 5 hours all by yourself?

1 comment:

Sandi said...

I would go the library or a bookstore and take a nap!