Saturday, November 15, 2008

We Regret

Two of the hardest words to hear are "We regret..."

The first thing that comes to mind, and by far the most serious, is the military or police chaplain that shows up at the door of a spouse.

"We regret to inform you..."

But there are other kinds of messages that say "we regret." Apparently, it can substitute for "I'm sorry," when you don't want to apologize. Consider how this statement about Fannie Mae mucky-mucks spending $6000 on a golf trip this month.

"We do regret that the activities surrounding the customer meetings in Dallas may be perceived as excessive," company spokesman Brian Faith said in an e-mail message.

"We regret" are dreaded words for us aspiring writers.

I got a "we regret" letter this week on a piece I had high hopes for. Shortly afterwards, I got news that a friend of mine was chosen as a semi-finalist in the same competition.

I'm happy for her. I really am. And for the three others I know who have signed their first book contracts this month.

At the same time, it makes me wonder if all the hard work and sacrifice is worth the constant rejection.

What if I pour years and years into becoming a better writer and no one ever reads my books? What if I've wasted all this time and money on what might just be a lonely and expensive hobby? What if I pour myself into something I will never succeed at?

Questions born out of insecurity. They don't mean a thing because, whether I ever "succeed" or not, I have to write. I have to tell stories.

I have to.

3 comments:

brenvanc said...

I think no matter the creation, we all struggle with the amount of time and money we spend on our creative pursuits. Let's face it, does anyone really need another scarf still I keep buying yarn. But as you said, it is often a need that is being fulfilled within us that we can't deny.

I love reading your work (as do many others) so no matter WHEN (not IF) it is published, you defintiely have an audience that eagerly awaits each new story.

Greg Bailey said...

Sorry for the disappointment Patty. I enjoy reading your stuff! It stinks that we have to subject ourselves to the opinions of others, and that those opinions so often affect how we feel about ourselves! Don't let anyone tell you that your work is not good enough!. Just keep writing the stuff that you enjoy, and do so to please the Lord. May he bless you with fulfillment (and success :) ).

Shelli said...

Oh, but you WILL succeed! You have a talent that I believe will be recognized by the right person.
You have such a beautiful mind and I treasure it!
Chin up my friend;-)