Saturday, March 14, 2009

signs of spring

At some point in my house's history, a previous owner laid a layer of black plastic in the area I use for my garden. Every time we till the garden (by we, I mean my loving husband), it stirs up crumpled pieces of visqueen. You'd think after 4 planting seasons we'd have it all picked up, but I think there's more plastic out there now than there was when we started.

I still have to scrape my windows every morning, there are other signs of spring beside the beautiful black dirt and not so beautiful black plastic. It looks like my daffodils might actually flower this year. The squirrels are drooling over what is sure to be a tasty first course to a season full of wonderful things to eat out of my yard.

My youngest didn't come in from playing outside until after 7 last night. She smelled like fresh air and happiness.

The rose bushes, still in their plastic bags waiting to be planted, are growing like gangbusters, an inch or more a day.

Any signs of spring at your place?

3 comments:

G.Wyatt said...

It is cruel to read this email and know that we won't see similar signs for another month or more.

Papa John said...

I've one two-year old pile and two one-year old piles of compost for you. Total volume about two trailer loads. Time to till that into the garden too.

Shelli said...

I am getting MORE eggs from the girls! I want to use 4 years of chicken manure and start a small garden this year.