Monday, July 06, 2009

The Power of Story

I finished reading A Thousand Splendid Suns last night and was amazed at how Khaled Hosseini was able to do what 8 years of TV news coverage on the war in Afghanistan has failed to do--make me see the people of that country as real people. I find it ironic that a cast of fictional characters lends more humanity to the place than the faces of real people, but I suppose that's the power of story.

To find love and acceptance, to provide for their children, to survive whatever hardships come along... these are the needs of women around the world. I've been working on my own story about a woman in Africa who faces different struggles, but they are really the same. When I finished reading this book, I felt like pressing the delete button on my own story. I want to tell an important story in a way that begs to be read, to expose glimpses of hope that survive the worst persecutions. Some day, perhaps I can capture the human condition as beautifully as Hosseini does, but I doubt it. All I can do is tell the story I have in the best way I can. I don't know if it will move anyone to tears, but I pray it will put a face on the people of West Africa, people who are real to me but are just video clips on the news to so many others.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This was a powerful story. No matter what, what you do with your story will give readers a better understanding of the culture and people there because of the love you have for them and your life there. I really believe that.

Papa John said...

Next!

Anonymous said...

I recently read A Thousand Splendid Sons too and had the some of the same thoughts! I can't wait for your story to bring a new understanding of the humanity of West Africans. Blessings!

Kristi Weber said...

This from Michael Hyatt's blog today as he recounts his "wow" moments: Getting a call from my publisher, telling me that my first book had hit the New York Times list. It was initially rejected by more than 30 publishers. It stayed on the list for 28 weeks. Hang in there, Patty.

Sandi said...

Haha -- that comment from "david" was me.

Christina Tarabochia said...

It did the same for me. I suddenly cared about towns, history, the people instead of it being a random 1 1/2 min. news bit that never touched my heart.