Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Nothing to Do


Our first stop when we got to Juneau was the glacier. It had to be. It's the anchor of my childhood memories, the place I spent more days growing up and exploring than anywhere else on the planet. So of course it's the first place I took my youngest and my nephew when given a chance to get out of the house.

My daughter took immediately to tossing rocks at the little icebergs that drifted closest to shore, just like her dad would do.

Some older kids around her followed her lead, but their mom stopped them. "What are you, 3?"

I gave them a smile and said, "It's about the funnest thing to do!"

The kids looked back and me and insisted, "It's about the only thing to do around here."

Are you kidding me? Do you know how many places there are to discover? How many trails to hike? How many bears to avoid? How many tourists to chat with? How many chances to defy death? It's the funnest place on earth!

1 comment:

Papa John said...

I'm glad you are enjoying being "home".