Monday, October 04, 2010

Bananas


The Asian market has plantains on sale, nice juicy ripe ones. I bought 2 the other day and grilled them. One of the kids and I ate them both before anyone else got a taste.

Back to the market to buy a dozen of the giant cooking bananas. That was yesterday.

We ate them all.

6 went on the grill. The rest went in the fryer to go with eggplant sauce and potatoes for dinner. All went in our tummies.

What is it about food? Plantains were a staple for us during our years in Africa. I don't think I've cooked them since, but as soon as I started cooking with these, the kids started telling me stories of memories they have from Africa. The smell, the taste, the texture ... I'm not sure what it was, but those bananas awakened a long dormant piece of our family. It's fun to let the memories flow.

1 comment:

Papa John said...

At which Asian market did you get the plantains? Is this a seasonal fruit here? i.e. only available at certain times? I remember this dish as one of my favorites when we visited you in Tabligbo. Seems like Dela served a large platter of them too. Ah! Such nostalgia. So be sure to share with me what the girls remembered.