Saturday, January 01, 2011

With New Resolve

Well, the new year is upon us. The family is sleeping off the effects of a late night while I sit in the kitchen listening to the clock tick 2011 off second by second.

I usually greet each new year with a list of resolutions, quietly made, quietly broken. The list is pretty much the same every year-eat better, exercise more, get up earlier, keep the house cleaner, have a consistent Bible study time, get a novel written, spend more time with the kids...

I read a blog the other day suggesting that instead of making goal-oriented resolutions, we focus more on the internal motivation. Why do I want to get up earlier? How do I want to feel about myself and the way I live?

A list of resolutions, all in adjectives. It changes the focus from what I have to do to how I ought to be.

Content
Positive
Healthy
Loving
Wise
Effective

What about you?

No comments: