Saturday, October 15, 2011

Warm Fuzzies

On June 26 I posted a blog on what to do for a loved one with cancer. Little did I know how soon I would be called on to put my actions where my words were. I try to spend at least a part of every day with my mom, hoping my mere presence is enough.

I have been touched by the many ways people have reached out to her with love and encouragement. Here are some recent outpourings of love.

A friend flew over from Idaho on a Saturday, cooked a beautiful dinner for Mom and Dad, and flew home on Sunday.

Mom gets 3 or 4 cards in the mail every day. She loves to read them, often several times, and treasures the love and prayers behind the words.

Several people have provided meals. Some of them cook enough for Mom and Dad, for my whole family, and for my brothers.

More than one friend has come from Alaska to offer hugs and supports. A group came for an evening to sing gospel songs.

A dear friend knitted a shawl, each stitch a word of prayer, the shawl and warm embrace.

A couple from church offered the use of their beach house to our entire family.

A life group pitched in to pay for gas, snacks, and a cleaning lady.

At least two different women have dusted the living room.

A steady stream of visitors comes to pray with her, play games with her, or just to chat.

I'm sure more people have done more things, but these are the ones on my mind right now. Many, many thanks for the warm fuzzies.

2 comments:

Papa John said...

AMEN !!

Lavinia said...

Patty, could you please send me your parents' mailing address? Thoughts of Anne under the fall colors brought a smile on my face. Your words about sweet Mrs Betty brought tears in my eyes.
Our love and prayers are with you all.
Lavinia