Monday, March 05, 2007

A Collective Gasp

This morning on a field trip, the docent gave an introductory speech to our home school co-op group.

"...and you know what's the coolest thing about our museum? Our floors are 600 million years old! Isn't that cool?"

The hair on the back of my head got sucked backwards as all the mothers and a few of the children gasped. At least they gasped quietly.

I don't know how old the earth is, but I do know who made it. I have the strong sense that by gasping when people say something we don't agree with, we're not going to get very far in conversation with them. I may know there is truth and non-truth, light and darkness, holiness and depravity, but if I stand so strong on the RIGHT that I can't get through a conversation without being either offended or condescending, I'll never get a chance to share why Jesus is the answer.

We Christians have a reputation as being know-it-alls and nobody wants to take advice from a know-it-all. I'm hoping to become more of a "know some of the important stuff-er" who is still in process of seeking, learning and maturing. And I'm looking for people who might want to learn and seek and grow with me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think you might stand just as far right as they do, but simply do not let it be known, for the reasons you outline?

Perhaps they are being authentic, and you are being deceptive?

I have no idea. I am truly wondering. I am not a fan of religion. I am a fan of most of your posts however. :-)

Patty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You said it was interesting that I said "standing on the right" as if I was the one who introduced that concept/term. (laughing to myself) I thought I was just borrowing YOUR term from your original post. :-) I went back and re-read your original post and now I see that when you said: "stand so strong on the RIGHT", you PROBABLY meant "right vs wrong" not politically on the RIGHT side of the spectrum. :-) (Although even now I am 2nd guessing my analysis of that)

I appreciate your reply.

Patty said...

No, you're right... er, you're correct... I originally was talking about how we can let the certainty of what we believe stand in the way of building relationships. So, in the first post, "right" was "right vs. wrong". I didn't realize it could be read as the political right until I read your comment. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll try to choose my confusing words more carefully :-)