Thursday, March 29, 2007

Into the Pool

In October, I submitted the following essay in a writers' conference scholarship contest. Tomorrow morning, I'm off to the conference!

I believe the Mount Hermon Conference is perfect for me at this time in my writing because ...

… my toes ache.
`
I stand at the edge of a diving board, peering into the pool of publishing. The bottom looks so far away. I grip the edge of the board with my toes, as if they can keep me from falling. Once I jump, will I be able to stay afloat? Can I out swim the schools of piranhas circling below? If someone would just give me a shove, I would find out.

About two years ago, I started writing a novel. A story burned inside me that I had to put down on paper. By no means would I say it was an inspired book, since it was full of all the classic flaws—POV problems, too many adverbs, little dialog—but the process drove me to seek the help I needed, help I found in the form of a critique group. My fellow writers encouraged me and tore my writing apart. They helped shape my story into a full novel, ready to present at a conference.

But which conference? Money, always an issue, meant I could only choose one. I listened to the way my group leader spoke of Mount Hermon as if it were the Mecca of Christian writers and I pictured scaling the mountain’s summit. But not right away.

I looked at several options, but ended up settling on a regional conference which I could attend with my mom who was also in the throes of her first writing venture. I sat across from editors and agents who all said, “I like your writing style and your ideas, but this book just doesn’t fit our market.”

Undeterred, I returned home and cranked out another book manuscript, this time focusing on realistic people in an American setting. The next year, I attended the same regional conference and again received encouraging words about the quality of my writing, but didn’t find a publisher.

What I did hear from several people, in different words, was this: You are on the brink of being published (thus the pool analogy). You will have books published. But you need to get out, network, meet more people in the industry and make connections with the people who are looking for books like yours.

The best way to do that is to attend conferences. But until I am published, I have no writing income to support a conference habit. So, while I dreamed of attending Mount Hermon and other large gatherings of Christian authors, I imagined my dream could not be fulfilled for many years. Until I heard of Cec’s generous offer.

I am a writer, one who writes because I can’t not write. I’m eager to take the plunge into the writing and publishing industry. I would dearly love this chance to take swimming lessons from those who are already in the pool.

Just give me a little shove.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, for one, am a cheerleeder on the side of the pool yelling "Go Patty Go!...... Go Patty Go!"

David said...

I think these excerpts from Steven Curtis Chapman's "Dive" fit best:

My heart is racing and my knees are weak
As I walk to the edge
I know there is no turning back
Once my feet have left the ledge
And in the rush, I hear a voice
That's telling me it's time to take the leap of faith
So here I go

I'm divin' in, I'm goin' deep
In over my head I wanna be
Caught in the rush, lost in the flow
In over my head I want to go
The river's deep, the river's wide
The river's water is alive
So sink or swim, I'm divin' in

Best wishes and prayers for a successful swim!

Jenna Bunner said...

I assume you were chosen for a scholarship?

Patty said...

Yes, a very generous and successful author sent 10 new writers to the conference as a way of paying back and supporting the writing community. I was blessed to be one of the 10. I'm sure I'll return many times on my own dime-- it was so worth it!