Saturday, April 28, 2007

Inch By Inch

The garden is planted. Sigh. All those seeds tucked nice and warm in their little garden beds wait for the right moment to wake up.

Inch by Inch
Row by Row
Oh to make this garden grow
All it takes is a rake and a hoe
and a piece of fertile ground.

Inch by inch
Row by Row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
While the rain comes tumbling down.

The Garden Song by David Mallett, as sung by Pete Seeger

As I planted and dug and hoed, I found myself humming the song above (as I do every year when I plant or weed). Pete Seeger's music is planted in me nearly as deeply as "Jesus Loves Me."

We had a Pete Seeger record-- yes, I said a record-- that was probably played more than any other 33 in history. Even now, strains of "This Land is Your Land" and "Skip to My Lou" make me tear up with nostalgia.

But my favorite Pete Seeger song, then and now, says "Mother be Quick, I'm Gonna be Sick and Lay Me Down to Die."

What's your favorite song from childhood?

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

"Delta Dawn." :-)

Anthony Parker said...

Don't know if there was a favor, but the first thing that came to mind was the whole Sound of Music soundtrack. And yes, we had the vinyl 33rpm album.

betty said...

Good morning to you.
Good morning to you.
We're all in our places
with sun-shiney faces.
Oh, this is the way we start oour Lord's Day.

or maybe "Good Night, Irene"

Greg Bailey said...

Mary Poppins and "A Spoonful of Sugar" had to be one of them.

Another song a little later that I really enjoyed was "Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog".

Shelli said...

Grandpa always sang to us kids "Ol Dan Tucker", it takes me way back.
And as a 10 year old driving from Centralia to Wyoming for a family reunion the song we sang the whole way... "Rock the Boat".
Oh the happy memories of childhood.
What I wouldn't give to have that old record player from when I was 11 and played Disco Duck, Donny Osmond and Shaun Cassidy over & over & over...
:-)