Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Little Seeds of Faith

I love it when a plan falls together. Especially when there's no human way to pull it off. But this weekend, God took bits and pieces of talent and dedication and mixed it together with a little Holy Spirit to form a wonderful weekend centered on the places our church is working around the world.

As I sampled finger foods from every continent, prepared with care by people whose hearts are planted in different cultures, I marvelled that such diversity could blend together. As I listened to Andrew (Uganda) tell how he and Ben (Brazil) had prayed for God to lead them somewhere in the world, I wondered at these young men's ability to embrace each other as members of one team, not as competitors out to secure as much funding for their own special projects as possible.

Sermons and talks, videos and songs, flags and food. It was all great.

But I think the best parts of the weekend happened behind the scenes.

One of our outstanding teenagers was invited to spend a summer in Uganda. A woman who was moving the next day expressed her appreciation for the reminder that she will be God's messenger no matter where she goes. My five-year old came home and strapped a baby doll on her back and asked a hundred times when we could go to Africa.

Little seeds were planted. Giant trees will grow.

4 comments:

Greg Bailey said...

Hey Patty,

I know the feeling. Faith continues to say that she is going back to Africa to be a missionary. Given the choice, she would say now that she would rather live there than in America. I wonder how she would feel if we actually packed the bags? How will we feel if she actually packs the bags? I hope we will contimue to support our kids in following God's mission, wherever that leads them!
----Gregoire

Cheryl said...

What a great day! It was days like this all through my childhood that planted the seed in my heart...
I love, love, love that Vancouver has embraced the Martins...and taken on their oversite...

And, when CAN you come to Africa?!?!?!? :-)

brenvanc said...

"Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has been, I have great faith in a seed. Convince me that you have a seed there, and I am prepared to expect wonders."...Henry David Thoreau

Sandi said...

Days like these are encouraging -- I like the example the guys gave of not trying to outdo one another in trying to rally people to their area of the world's missions.