Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Reinvigoration

I love the trend of having a coffee shop in a book store. Powells has its cafe. Barnes and Noble has Starbucks. And Branches, our Christian book store, has Cafe Divine.
The writing life can be a lonely existence. Sitting in front of a computer screen, blocking out the world, writing down thoughts that may never be seen by anyone else... sometimes it seems a writer is alone in the universe.

One of the most invigorating things I know to do is to talk shop with another writer. When two creators rub thoughts together, inspiration can be rekindled. Iron on iron, sparks on wood shavings, water on seeds, ideas are born and formed and take on a life of their own.

Do you have a friend who brings out your best ideas? Do you have a place where inspiration is born? I have several of each, but Cafe Divine is a special favorite.

3 comments:

Susan Skitt said...

I love a good cup of hot chocolate. Gets my creative writing juices going :)

Just sat with a dear writing friend the other day for lunch, what an encouragement. She too is a Christian so our time together is sweet. God knows we sometimes need a different perspective, bringing into focus an aspect of His Word that we might not have considered or simply chosen to forget.

Blessings today!

Anonymous said...

My aunt & I just had a discussion about Cafe Divine! She told me all about it & I can't wait to check it out when I am down in town sometime!

Cheryl said...

I LOVE a GOOD conversation, over the hot drink of your choice, in a bookstore!!!! Divine indeed!

I get loads of "reinvigoration" over tea and conversations at Rondo Retreat Center each year at ladies retreat. Locally, Mountains of the Moon Hotel has been renovated (It took three years!) and is now open. Hot tea with a view of the Rwenzori's is a blessing. Want to join me sometime?