Sunday, June 24, 2007

Heartbeat of a City

The city breathes its own air, in and out in unique rhythm. The suburbs, where I live, we suck in canned air from the big box stores where every aisle in every town in every state sells the same products at the same "low price."

But in the city, you never know what you'll find, what you'll hear, who you'll meet. Maybe it's the automaton in his white make-up and brocade tails who waits for a coin to drop in his cardboard box before he moves. His mother must be so proud.

Maybe it's the Swedes in the seat in front of me on the streetcar... or the Koreans behind. Or the musician named Hillbilly who beats out his own tune on an oversized yellow gourd.

Maybe it's the flagship store for a major department store or the joke shop overflowing with magic tricks and glow-in-the-dark you-name-its. Or the corner store that used to be run by Mom and Pop, but has changed management a time or two.

Life in the suburbs is quieter, greener, but I love a day in the city.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a nice place to visit, but......
I'll stay out in the wide open spaces!

Shelli said...

For a day or two it's FUN but I always look forward to coming home to my own little quiet corner of the world.
I look forward to visiting you not as quiet corner one of these days soon:-)