Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Can't Wait!

The month of December always dragged by. Now it seems to zoom past. 2008 is already a quarter done and I'm still writing 2004 on my checks.

Some things were hard to wait for as a kid - Christmas, Birthday, Summer Vacation. "I can't wait!" I'd declare.

"Yes, you can. And you will." That was Dad's wisdom. He was right.

Now I find the things I'm waiting for a little less pleasant. I wait in line at the grocery store. I wait for results to come back from the lab on blood tests.

And today... I wait to hear from an agent. I just dropped my book proposal in the mail and already I'm eager to hear back. "Expect to hear from us in 6-8 weeks," they say.

6-8 weeks? That's as long as I used to have to wait for my order to come from Montgomery Ward. (Not quite as long ago as the Wells Fargo Wagon, but close!)

My daughter ordered something the other day. The instructions read like this:
  • Fill out appropriate forms.
  • Send in envelope provided (no postage necessary if mailed in the US)
  • Wait impatiently for 3-4 weeks.

I think I'll wait impatiently for 6-8 weeks. I can do that.

5 comments:

G.Wyatt said...

Long ago I lost that gittery feeling in the weeks before Christmas. Now I am feeling them again... I CAN'T wait for our son to show up in July!!!! I am getting super excited!

Papa John said...

To learn about waiting I have recently taken up ordering books from around the country via "media mail". It is almost inconceivable how long it takes such an order to arrive here from such distant and exotic realms as Seattle, for example, but after all, that's at least 165 miles away from here, and three weeks isn't all that long, right? The thing is, I didn't realize I needed the lessons in patience I am getting.

PS To Geoffrey: You can wait, and you will! And all the way too, OK? Besides, you made your mother and me wait, and wait, and wait, and take several drives (to be near the hospital, just in case) before you f-i-n-a-l-l-y decided to stop teasing us. We should have known then what we were in for. :) (Uh, er, actually, I can't wait to hold that grandson!!) Papa

Sandi said...

What?! Geoffrey and Dana are expecting??! Exciting!

And exciting about your waiting for an agent response! (even though the wait will be hard!)

laura g said...

Patty, I only remember to check your blog about 4 times a year, but I just browsed on over and saw this about your sending away a book proposal. I will be sure to check in 6-8 weeks for news. God bless you as you "wait impatiently."

By the way, we continue to miss you all. Would love to be able to see you.

Anonymous said...

What do you wish to think about/do in the time it takes to wait? Waiting is always easier for me when I decide to forget about it by planning the time up with other exciting things. (Start planning your garden or a trip and the little "deadline" will come sooner than you'd expect!)