Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Truth of Seuss

All I needed to know, I learned from children's books.

*The doctor is your friend. (Benjamin Bunny Visits the Doctor)

*If you believe and work hard, anything can happen. (The Carrot Seed)

*Love is best expressed in person. (A Kiss for Little Bear)

*Tastes Change. Try something new every once in a while. (Green Eggs and Ham)

*Never Tease a Weasel. (I just like to say that!)

And from the classic, Horton Hears a Who!...

*A person's a person no matter how small.

I always liked that one, since I was the shortest person in my class. Horton Hears a Who has some other great messages (notwithstanding the jabs about narrow minded kangaroos who choose to pouchschool their joeys to keep them from exposure to new ideas). The movie's worth a gander or, if you prefer, you can always read the book. One idea that has stuck with me this week is that the poor little guys in Whoville, who live on a speck but don't know it, cannot see that their speck is being protected by none other than Horton the elephant. I love their realization that Horton, their protector, is so big they can neither see nor hear him.

I know someone like that.

Huge-normous or itsy-tiny. It's all a matter of perspective.

No comments: