Friday, September 05, 2008

Another Look

You know how there are things you drive by all the time without really seeing them?

There's a place on the sidewalk between my house and the mall that I've driven past a thousand times. It's a little platform with something sticking up from it and something fluttery wrapped around it, like a tattered flag.

Without ever putting words to it, I've always assumed it was a little voodoo shrine. That's not completely illogical considering I used to live in a place with shrines everywhere you looked, enough that I eventually looked past them as they became part of the larger landscape.

But this is suburbia. In America.

This week, I walked past that spot on the sidewalk for the first time and was surprised to see it was not a shrine at all, but a broken utility pole with warning tape wrapped around it.

Another piece put in the puzzle of what my surroundings look like. Another piece of the African me lost.

1 comment:

Phyllis Hunt McGowan said...

I like this. I understand what you mean about loss, too- almost as though you would rather have not known the truth of what the thing really was.
Perspective can open new doors for us but it usually closes a few in the learning process.
This was nicely written, and I am glad to have just stumbled across your blog.