Thursday, May 21, 2009

Put One Foot In Front of the Other

Ever since I wrote my silly poem the other day, I've had the song "Put One Foot In Front of the Other" in my head. Christmas re-runs in May. Yikes!

LoveMercy noted that my hiking moral seemed to parallel my writing life. No coincidence there. Last month I was at a meeting of the local chapter of ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers). We went around the room and everyone shared their recent accomplishments. One friend finalled in a prestigious contest. 6 or 8 had books under contract. 2 had their new books, recently published, to share with the group. 1 had just received a photo of her new book cover. 1 had signed with an agent.

I unlocked the door for the meeting. That's it.

I went home from that night wondering why in the world I've wasted so much time and energy on a dream that may never come true. I was ready to give up.

But now, with a manuscript out there being evaluated as a finalist, I've found new energy. I'd love to have the whole manuscript ready and polished for the summer OCW conference, so I've given myself a strict goal of how many words I have to write each day in order to have the manuscript ready.

2000 words a day, no excuses, until the end of June.

Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Shelli said...

LUCK! You can do it!!

New Creation said...

Patty, Thanks for sharing your writing journey! Bryan and I have been told "NO" a lot lately in the job market. It's hurtful. However, it's caused me to think to myself, "If you're going to get turned down...might as well be for something you really want to do!" The rejection has in a weird way caused me to pursue my real passions. It's great to see you doing that for so many years. I believe in you!!!!!

Papa John said...

2K?? Yikes!! Well at least we'll be out of your hair for a little while longer.

Lavinia Cook said...

I am so excited about reading your book that I will start praying right now :-)

Sandi said...

Wow -- what a goal!!! Go, go, go!! YOu can do it!