Monday, May 11, 2009

Standing Thirsty at the Source

I can't imagine a thirsty man standing by a spring of glistening water and leaning down every so often to take a tiny little sip. Still thirsty, he stands back up and refuses (or forgets) to drink. 

I've been that man lately, reading a Bible verse here, sampling a story there, but refusing to quench my thirst. The other day a friend and I opened our Bibles to read a single verse and I felt the refreshment. I wanted to open my mouth and drink in huge gulp fulls of cool relief. It's all there, everything I need to eat or drink, and I know it's there. But I stand thirsty at the source. Thank God the outflowing of his truth and grace don't depend on my consistency.

2 comments:

Jina Hinson said...

i hear you, patty!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean, Patty! I"ve done the same thing many times. God's word comes alive in a special way when I drink from it with even just oneother follower of Him. I know He created us as a body to work together to follow the head well! Thanks for sharing this! It is encouraging me to drink deeply from Him today!