Saturday, August 15, 2009

Hot Wheels Vicki

I need to tell you about a friend of mine. I would have told you about her sooner, but I thought I had more time. Besides, she wanted to tell the stories herself in an autobiography she started and put aside.

Vicki King Thompson died peacefully in her sleep on Friday. The news of her death comes as a great shock to all of us who know her.

Vicki's body didn't form the same way most of ours did and she spent most of her hours in a wheel chair or in bed. Her short legs never learned to walk, but that didn't slow Vicki down a bit. You could tell that from her email moniker - Hot Wheels Vic. She was always in the middle of things, giving advice, greeting everyone, and - above all - asking for prayers for those she loved.

If you knew Vicki, I guarantee she's asked someone else to pray for you. She found great power in prayer and comfort in having other people pray with her. Hardly a Sunday went by without her asking for prayers for a niece, a cousin, a co-worker, a friend. And especially for her mom. I believe it was Vicki's greatest joy to see her mother give her life to Christ earlier this year.

The kids loved Vicki, from the little ones in her Sunday School classes to those she met in the lobby. She was just their size, sitting in her wheelchair, and she loved our kids like they were part of her family. One of my very favorite pictures is one of Vicki holding one of my twins just after the babies came home from the hospital. Vicki's arms were weak, but she could handle those 4 pounds, at least for a few seconds. Even recently, she reminded me, "Remember how I almost dropped your baby?" but I always knew it was special for her to get to hold her, one of the only babies small enough to rest in her arms.

I have a hundred stories to tell, and you probably do, too. I hope we can share them together at her memorial later this week.

Tonight, though, I can't help thinking about Vicki climbing all over heaven's playground, swinging high up in the air, scurrying across the monkey bars and dancing in the freedom of her new-found perfection. Save a spot on the swing set for me, Vicki. I can't wait to play with you.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

betty said...

As I was thinking that I needed to change my "selfish" blog this morning, I opened your blog to a photo of the subject I wanted to write about. Let me just say DITTO to all you have said, and add just one more thing to Vicki's prayer list.

Often, she would ask for prayers for someone she had just met...if might have been a fellow passenger or someone related to the driver or even her driver.

Chelan said...

I didn't know she'd passed away until I saw your link to this post on facebook. I'm so shocked. What a loss. She was a delightful, loving, joyful, giving person. Thanks for your articulate thoughts, Patty.

Kristi Weber said...

I had two opposing thoughts on hearing of Vicki's passing. We can offer an invitation at church now without having Vicki come forward every Sunday, but we have lost one of our staunchest prayer warriors.

Nkbirche said...

Thank you Patty. You said so much better than I every could and yet mirrored my thoughts of deep respect for Vicki.
Kathy

Nkbirche said...

Thank you Patty,

You conveyed my thoughts and emotions for Vicki better than I could ever do. She will be missed so very deeply.

Kathy

Papa John said...

Through a set of unusual circumstances, Vicki and I shared a couple of private secrets. We did not speak about them over the many years since their onset, but almost every time we made eye contact, I could see a special twinkle in her eye as our mutual memory came back to mind.

Come to think of it, I saw that same "we share something special" twinkle as she interacted with other close friends in the church.

In fact, I bet Vicki shared special memories and moments with most of her many buddies over the years. She was that kind of friend - part imp, part sage, all heart!

The truth is, a lot of folk are going to miss that heart and twinkle, you betcha!

Angel said...

When I comforted her mother this Sunday and asked about memorial dates, she said "Vicki had a lot of friends, we'll be sure to have it here." And I thought, "if you only knew how she has touched every person here, as well as many who have moved away who you will never see. If you only knew..."

Anonymous said...

Thank-you so much Patty. You said it so nicely
We will miss her and it makes me want to be more friendly... like Vicki
K
Sellers

Lisa Harris said...

I remember Vicki. What a wonderful visual to think about her free and whole in heaven with Jesus.