Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mom's Prayer


The awards ceremony for the Genesis contest was last week. I went to Denver feeling like I had a 1 in 5 shot at winning my category. I bought new shoes. I borrowed a dress.

My mom prayed for me. She prayed that whether I won or lost, I would be able to enjoy my time, that I wouldn't be too disappointed if I lost.

By the time the awards night rolled around, I already knew I wasn't going to win. No one came out and told me, but I had a dozen little hints that Jennifer Griffith was the best new writer in Contemporary Fiction (the first being that she'd already won the category a previous year).

So, thanks to Mom's prayer, I was able to go to the banquet not even nervous about whether I would win or lose. I enjoyed the night and was truly happy for those who won.

Thanks, Mom.

5 comments:

Sandi said...

I'm glad that you were able to be happy for the others, Patty. I wish it had been you but really proud of you for making it that far!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Patty, you are SOOO kind. I didn't have that confident feeling AT ALL. I just knew that God would do his thing and I would just rest in that. Press on, and keep writing. I look forward to reading your work!!!

betty said...

Oh, child. It is not my feeble attempts that make the difference. It IS the listening ear of a loving Father. Just knowing He cares about our hearts is so comforting.

Greg Bailey said...

To take nothing away from Jennifer, but writing genius, like beauty is in they eye of the beholder. That's why we all marry different spouses. :) Persevere Patty. God has blessed you with a gift!

Anonymous said...

Patty, I love that you have continued to persevere in your writing. It is obviously something that burns within you, a need to express the uniqueness of God's image stamped upon your soul. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your journey along the way. May He receive glory, always, for the gifts He has given you. I always enjoy reading your posts!