Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Rejection Day

The first manuscript I sent to an agent, I waited anxiously by the mailbox waiting for the acceptance letter and the tumbling words of praise for my work.

Not so much any more. First of all, I get all my rejections by email these days. I've had enough of them that I don't take them personally at all.

This morning, I got my 4th rejection on a mystery series set in Alaska that I've written for 4th-6th graders. It's my first time to send something to a "New York" agent--meaning one who works in the general market of book publishing, not in the Christian market. After all the stories about how rough it is out in general market land, I've been pleasantly surprised by the nice, personalized rejection letters I've received. Of the 3 New York agents I've heard from, every one of them read at least a portion of my manuscript and every one of them wished me the best of luck in finding an agent or publisher.

It's not personal, it's business. That's a mantra I should repeat to remind myself not to take things personally. The agents, after all, are looking for work that fits what they want to work with.

On the other hand, when these agents treat me as a person instead of an annoyance, it feels pretty good. Even in business, people should be treated like people.

4 comments:

tsibs7 said...

keep hope alive Patty. You're a very talent person and I know something will end up happening!

tsibs7 said...

keep hope alive Patty. You're very talented and I'm sure one of these publishers are going figure that out!

Papa John said...

I predict: Stories a few editors today are bypassing will someday be eagerly sought by serious readers when you become a popular, beloved author. Write THAT down, and count on it!

Anonymous said...

Patty, good for you. And what an encouragement that they didn't send it back with a "don't ever contact me again" or "You think you can write?" comment. I've read your stuff and you will find the right publisher and agent. Joy