Monday, December 18, 2006

In the Living Room

Life plays out in the living rooms of America. In ours right now, six children are building card houses and knocking them down with rubber bands. In a friend's this morning, the children shared games of Battleship and dinosaurs while I sipped tea with my friend. We do our reading in the living room, we pet the dog, we dump our coats on our way in the door and put on our shoes on the way out.

Some living rooms, though, are quiet and lonely. We took the opportunity to take part in a lost piece of our culture - visitation. The kids and I, along with another family carried cookies and Christmas cheer to several houses that don't have much cheer. Strokes, age, sickness and cancer keep so many home, cocooned away in their own little worlds where the rest of us don't have to think about them.

It was good for the children to greet and sing and good for us moms to remember that not everyone has the blessing of constant chatter in the house.

Catherine, Bill, Barb and others have given me so much over the years. A smile, a song and a kiss on the cheek are such a small return, but they rewarded me again with the twinkle in their eyes.

God bless those who can't get out like they used to. May he touch their lives with loved ones and children who will grace their living rooms with joy.

1 comment:

Jenna Bunner said...

There you go again, Patty, inspiring me to do something. I think I know what I need to do now.