Friday, February 08, 2008

Who's the Expert?

Is it a new trend among interviewers or has this been going on for a while? I've noticed lately that when I watch any of a number of media personalities, they look for opportunities to throw their own spin on the experts' advice.

This is not a real interview, but what I've observed goes something like this:

Interviewer: I'm here with Dr. X, the premiere world expert on puzzle grass. Dr. X, isn't it true that puzzle grass is one of the few things in nature that can be taken apart and reconstructed, even by a child?

Dr. X: That's right, Joe. I first became interested in puzzle grass because of its special zigzig structure. As I studied more about it, though, I learned that there's more to this species than meets the eye.

Interviewer: What exactly did you learn?

Dr. X: Puzzle grass happens to be the primary food source for the rare flubber fish.

Interviewer: So if puzzle grass goes extinct, so does the flubber? (cut to photo of lonely flubber fish then back to concerned interviewer).

Dr. X: Yes, we're working with flubber fish experts from around the world to study the possibilities.

Interviewer: But it's important to remember to fight global warming, drink 8 glasses of water a day, and have your pet spayed and/or neutered. Thanks for joining us, Dr. X.

Dr. X: Err...

Interviewer: We'll be back with a recipe for how to make organic hamster chow right after this.

2 comments:

David said...

How twoo, how twoo. I am impressed with the detail of your observation and laughing at your presentation. And then they call it the "no spin zone." Well, it was nice talking to me!

Anonymous said...

Patty, you make me laugh!! You are so creative with words! I haven't been watching or reading any recent interviews in the media, but I would say that if this is happening someone needs to put a stop to it! Hopefully, most people recognize it and are appalled, but my hunch is that most don't even notice the brainwashing. Thanks for allerting us to this sad trend! Love you and hello to your family!