Friday, February 01, 2008

A Friendly Face

There's something about a genuine smile that can brighten any day, about the person who loves his life so much, he can't help sharing it.


Every time I look out my office window, I'm greeting by this smiling face. My tin man loves his job and he reminds me, in his strong silent type kind of way, to love mine too.


"It's not so bad," he seems to say. "You've got a roof over your head and the chatter of children all the time. If you get grouchy, you could come out and party with me and the birds and the squirrels."


The tin man used to live at my Grandma's house. He liked it there, too. Sometimes he tells me stories about the ways he cheered her up.


He just seems to have that effect on people.

1 comment:

Papa John said...

I don't know if your grandma actually "talked" to the tin man, but she enjoyed his company and occasionally liked to let him change locations. After he enjoyed a few weeks in the back yard, she would move him to the porch. Then he might be found in the shubbery lining the front flower bed or maybe inside the carport storage. He even was allowed to visit inside once - in the bathtub.

She would be glad you and your family have given him an honorable occupation - watching over the garden - sqirrels, starlings, and all!

I'm sure it is much nicer work than keeping wasps out of my attic.