Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Friendship

Martha Stewart and I don't get to hang out much since she's usually whipping up a fourteen layer cake or trimming ferns while I'm schlepping around the house in my sweats and trying to get the kids to finish their math assignments.

A couple of weeks ago, I did catch a few minutes of her show. I can't even remember what the subject was about, but the guest started talking about Amish friendship bread.

Martha had never heard of such a thing.

When the guest went on to explain how you get a starter from a friend and how you care for your starter for several days before baking bread for yourself, dividing the starter into more bags, and passing it on to a friend, Martha pooh-poohed the whole process as too complicated and time consuming.

Well, it is, a little. On the other hand, maybe no-one loves Martha enough to give her a mushy zip-loc bag of friendship.

I got a friendship bread starter this week and you know what I thought?

I HAVE A FRIEND!

Granted, I have to plan my trip this weekend around getting the bread baked, the starter divided, and all. But I might just be richer than Martha!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patty,
I loved your piece about the friendship bread. Great writing and solid emotional punchline.

John Day Counter

Linda Judd said...

Amen, Patty! Better a friend than some fancy recipe! That Amish Friendship Bread is yummy. I've gone through several rounds of it, but can't keep it going for very many weeks. Good luck with yours.

Shelli said...

This makes me want to do the 'starter' recipe I have for this bread.
It is a favorite, YUM!
Love ya.

Larry said...

Patty,

So I looked on the internet and found these friendship quotes

'Friends are God’s way of taking care of us."

"A road to a friend’s house is never long."

what a treasure friends are.