Friday, January 22, 2010

Back in the Nest

The fledgling has returned, a little older, a little wiser, and immensely proud of herself. And well she should be. She spent a week away from home, managed to wake up at 6:30 a.m. five days in a row (a miracle for a homeschooler), and proved she can keep up with the rest by earning an A+ in her legislative classes.

My job's not over yet, not by a long shot, but I'm realizing that it's in transition. This is the time to encourage and guide, to offer challenges, to encourage her to seek out her interests and cheer her on in her pursuits.

It's time to back off the nit-picking and trust her to figure out the small stuff on her own.

Letting go. I think this is the hardest job yet.

1 comment:

Shelli said...

I'm so proud of her, proud like her Momma! And proud of her Momma too, for being so wise.
I went onto the link you listed on Fb yesterday, and I felt myself get so emotional, gushing pride for this beautiful young lady I remember as a wee 6 year old in Port Townsend.
Way to go Momma & Papa!
You've done a terrific job as parents~