Thursday, January 14, 2010

Who Sinned?

May I just say that Pat Robertson is not my mouthpiece? I do not believe that the people of Port au Prince deserved this earthquake any more than the people of New Orleans deserved Katrina or the people of Thailand and Indonesia deserved the tsumamis.

Isn't it bad enough to suffer without the world laying the blame on your shoulders? While I do believe there are consequences to sin, I don't see the good of placing blame. It reminds me of the blind man in John chapter 9.

"Who sinned, this man or his parents?" the apostles asked Jesus.

"Neither this man nor his parents," Jesus replied, "This happened so the work of God might be displayed in his life... While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

The apostles saw the blind man, in his suffering, as an abstract example of how sin and punishment are connected. They could ask Jesus a question about whether the fault lay with the blind man or with his parents, listen to the answer and walk on to ask another question without ever really seeing the man in question.

Jesus saw him though. He saw him as a man who needed God, a man who needed healing.

Let's not sit around trying to decide whose fault the earthquake was or why a country that has already endured so much must endure even more. Let's do what Jesus did - heal the hurting. Let's be what he was - light to the world.

1 comment:

Larry said...

I so agree....I am not sure what the value of judging is when people are sandwiched between the second and third floors of buildings