Saturday, January 09, 2010

Rudeness

I was in a store tonight and was struck by the fact that a disproportionate number of people were rude. They parked their carts crosswise in the aisle so no one could pass. They pulled in front of me and then stopped suddenly. They left their carts along one side of the aisle and stood on the other side.

I wasn't in a hurry, but if I was, I would have been furious. What happened to common courtesy?

It's not fair to throw the generation out with the bath water, I know. Not everyone is rude. In fact most people are downright nice a lot of the time. It's just that all the pills seemed to be gathered in the middle of the aisles I needed to go down tonight.

I try not to be rude. I try really hard. But even I have my moments of disrespect. A few weeks ago I stood in a long line waiting to pay for one item. I got up toward the front of the line and, when a cashier called "NEXT!" I went to the register.

Another woman walked up behind me. "I was in front of you," she said.

She might have been. She probably was, but I honestly didn't see her there. I should have stepped aside and let her go first, but I didn't. I only had one thing. I was so flustered, though, that by the time the clerk went to hand me my receipt, I snatched it out of his hand and bolted from the store.

I'm sorry lady in front of me. I didn't mean to cut you off. I'm sorry cashier dude. I was embarrassed and I just wanted to get away. But I shouldn't have been inconsiderate. I'm sorry people in the aisles tonight. I shouldn't care more about reaching the Splenda and the shirts than I do about what kind of night you are having.

1 comment:

Kristi Weber said...

And you're not even on the freeway yet.