Friday, August 06, 2010

It was good... really good

Once in a while I have an experience that's hard to put into words. Even though it was a life-changing time, when a friend asks, "How was your week?" I answer vaguely, "It was good...really good."

I had one of those weeks out at the Oregon Christian Writers' Summer Coaching Conference.

I got to meet with some agents and editors and their advice was good...really good.

I attended some workshops and the teaching was good...really good.

I sat in a good class taught by James Scott Bell on how to better shape my fiction. I listened and participated in worship with talented leaders like Julie Hoy. I served on the committee that worked really hard to make the conference a success. It was our last year at Canby Grove (next year at Aldersgate) and our last year under the direction of Pat Rushford (next year, Lindy Jacobs will lead the team).

And I listened in wonder and thanksgiving as keynoters Bill Myers and Jeff Gerke shared the hard lessons they've learned and are learning in their faith walks--powerful reminders that our dark times are not designed to destroy us, but to make us more fit for what God plans for us. Incredible teaching.

So, while I might say the conference was "good," what I mean is that it was one of those small moments that changed me ever so slightly in the right direction.

1 comment:

Lisa Harris said...

Sounds like a wonderful conference! Glad you were able to be a part of it.