Monday, August 30, 2010

Quest for the Green Papaya

Sounds like a great adventure, right?

I was more like a comedy of errors. I wanted to make a green papaya salad for a luncheon, but didn't want to make a trip to the next town to the Asian supermarket I knew would carry it.

So... I looked up a local Asian market online and promptly decided (for no reason that makes any sense to me right now) that it would be easier to go on a random papaya hunt than to go to the market that might actually carry such a thing.

3 hours and dozens of red papayas later, I was no closer to finding the object of my quest than when I had first begun.

So... I went home and called the Asian market that I should have called in the first place.

Yes, of course they had green papaya. Hmmm.

And it made a lovely salad for a lovely luncheon.

Lesson of the week: Don't make things more complicated than they actually are.

3 comments:

Kristi Weber said...

Reminds me of my trips to three different stores because I didn't want to stand in line at the really, really busy one. D'OH!

Papa John said...

It's like my quest this afternoon to buy plastic bags - 33 Gal. trash size and 13 gal. kitchen size - without the built-in drawstrings. I've used them for years. I don't mind tying the corners together at all. Always got them at Home Depot. Guess what?? The current youthful clerk says, "We've never carried those. (Bah AND Humbug to that!) Brand "L", the other Big-box store, had only drawstring styles and NO bags in the 33 gal. size at all And they were cleverly shelved well apart from the standard cleaning supplies department where such products are normally found. In despiration I decided to try America's Brand "W", for a temporary substitute, and found a generic in the right size and style but it was neither priced on the product nor on the shelf, nor could I find a pricing station anywhere, nor a roaming clerk, nor anyone pricing or doing inventory with one of those handheld gizmos, nor a checkstand which didn't have several persons in line, nor was there a supervisor at the front end desk, and customer service had at least twenty folk in a line which stretched out of that cubicle and well past the adjacent bank. So I waited at the super's desk for over ten minutes until an overlord came along to check me out (but not to provide any service, of course); however, after hearing my sad story, he did offer to price the item which didn't take too long after all. Total time on task, about twenty to twenty-five minutes and I ended up with a lesser product than I originally went shopping for.

Why didn't I buy an extra box six months ago when I last saw exactly what I wanted to buy?

Dana Wyatt said...

sounds like fun! I would have hunted with you :) It's all part of the adventure!