Monday, November 08, 2010

Storage Options

When my hard drive crashed recently, the PC guru who unsuccessfully tried to retrieve my data advised that all important data should be stored in at least 3 places. Some storage options are:

-on the computer itself (of course)
-on a thumb drive
-on an external hard drive
-on an online storage backup site (like mozy or qwest digital vault)
-on a file sync service (like dropbox)

A colleague recommended sugarsync, which stores your info online and regularly syncs it with your computer. I signed up for it today and was able to receive a 500 megabite file, 50 times the size of info I'd be able to receive via email.

If you're interested in learning about sugarsync, use this link. If you sign up, it will give both of us extra storage space above the 2 gigabites you can use for free.

If you've got a helpful tip for backing up data, feel free to share.

1 comment:

Kristi Weber said...

I have Synctoy 2.1 installed on my computer and a portable hard drive for backup. You have to manually back up files; it doesn't do it for you automatically.