Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Open Doors

I have recently rediscovered something I grew up knowing. To really get to know people, stay in their house. Or have them stay in yours.

It's amazing to me how many people who are going to our high school reunion are looking for hotel rooms to stay in. If we went (which I don't think we will) it wouldn't even cross my mind to stay in a hotel. To belong to a church is to belong to a FAMILY. And when you visit family, you stay with family.

I'm sitting at the computer at Shelli's house. The kids are still asleep. My hair is a greasy, matted mess. My teeth are fuzzy. I really could use a shower. But I got to stay up until 2:30 this morning and talk. We talked about kids, about church, about Jesus, about our lives, about TV and books.

When you stay with people, you get to know them. They get to know you. You let your guard down, you let them see you act more natural than you would in public places. Sitting around with your feet on the coffee table prompts good conversation.

Thanks, Shelli. I'm glad you love me... fuzzy teeth and all.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Well, we are certainly experiencing alot of this type of "knowing" right now :-).
We are in Portland. When is tea time? :-) We are at Jeff's parents. Let me know!

Anonymous said...

Now you mentioned greasy hair, but I gotta tell you that you looked much better than I did. And you still love me! WOW!!
It's a given your family will always love you no matter how you look, BUT, to have friends love you unconditionally no matter how good or bad you look, that I am grateful for.
Friends in Christ are my earthly treasures, I can't fathom the reunion in Heavan that awaits us.