Friday, March 31, 2006

12 More Days

God knew what he was doing when he set up the Jewish Year. As soon as one feast was over, there was another to prepare for. Each feast held a specific meaning-- one for atonement, one for giving God the first of the crop, one for remembering his faithfulness to his people.

It's 12 days until Passover. I can't wait. A whole evening dedicated to retelling the story of God's deliverance. A whole evening to declare the acts of kindness God has performed for us.

"Dayenu!" we will say. "It would have been enough." Passover is a meal that points to God's overflow of blessings.

Consumerism has stolen some of Easter's edge. Just like the rows of overpriced toys steal the thunder from the angels declaring the birth of God at Christmas time, plastic eggs and hollow chocolate bunnies distract us from the real meaning of Easter.

The God of the Universe was killed on Passover night. Mocked, rejected, abused, a lamb led to the slaughter. He took my pain, my shame, and my death to the cross.

The story of Passover is that God delivers his people. The story of Easter is the same. For though God was murdered on the cross that Passover, all the sins of the world died with him. All the pain, all the grief, all the guilt, all the shame. All of it-- dead and buried. But, while those sins stayed dead, Jesus didn't. He conquered death. He stood up and walked-- alive again. God delivered his people and now the spirit of death will pass over us and let us live and be free.

2 comments:

G.Wyatt said...

I wish I could be there. I am afraid I will likely be a part of a "traditional" church of Christ Sunday service on Easter. I may try to find a sunrise service and get out to there first.

Ally said...

What a great post. Thanks for writing.