Sunday, July 09, 2006

Vive la France?

I am NOT a sports fan, but all three of the countries I've lived in were represented in the World Cup, the biggest sporting event on the planet. The U.S. and Togo were knocked out early, confirming my suspicions that some teams are in the competition only to make the top teams look good. But France, bless her, made it to the finals.

So, today, Edwin and I cheered and hooted and hollered for France.

Until the second overtime.

Then, the team captain, Zinedine Zidane, affectionately known as Zizou, head butted an opponent and was red-carded out of the match. A national icon, a legend of French sports, a man who reportedly played for many years with skill and integrity spent his last few minutes before retirement on the bench because he lost his temper. Sure, he may have been justified, but it's still a horrible way to go. (If you want to see the incident, click here to go to YouTube.)

France lost. She lost the game and the title. But the country still stands behind Zizou and holds him up as a hero.

It's good to have people to look up to, but things like what I saw today remind me that mere men are neither worthy nor capable of living up to their idol status.

Venus razors tell me that if I use their product it will release my inner goddess. You know what? I'd rather not, 'cuz if I let her out, there's no telling what horrid things she might feel justified doing. Maybe she'd want to head butt a guy when over a BILLION people are watching!

No comments: