Tuesday, August 15, 2006

No Relation

Before I was capable of conscious thought, Jessie posthumously entered my life. She came in the form of photos, journals, fancy dishes, and Indian baskets. She came in the form of stories. She came in the light in Mom's eyes as she told visitors about acquiring Jessie's trunk from an Alaska State auction. I thought she was a distant relative, and was a bit disappointed to find that she was neither aunt nor grandmother, merely a fascinating lady with a fascinating story.

Jessie was born to a wealthy British family. She traveled with her father and mother in the early twentieth century to the Yukon territory and then into Alaska. Their trip came to a sudden and permanent halt on receipt of a telegram from England.

The world is at war. Funds inaccessible.

Mom has talked about writing down Jessie's story for years. For the past 2 years, she has been consumed by the task. A trip to Eagle, Internet research that has introduced her to new friends in Alaska, Arizona, and England, will soon reap their rewards.

Thanks to all of you who offered your input for the book cover. While I wish we could have featured the lady on the car's running board, unfortunately, it turns out that is not a picture of Jessie. So, taking that fact and so many opinions into account, I am pleased to present the (possibly) final cover for Mom's book. We hope to see it in print very soon.



6 comments:

Papa John said...

I know it's a great book. Now it has a great cover too. Thanks for your part in that, Patty.

Yes, over the years Jessie has become family to most of us. It will be an honor to see the book in print and to be able to share her story with so many more folk.

As for the rest of you, when is becomes available, buy early and buy often.

Cheryl said...

I can't wait to read it! Well done--

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the cover even though I was a fan of the girl on the running board! I like maps and i like the color too. I can't wait to read it and send copies to friends and family. Will it be ready for Christmas gifts? Lori

Anonymous said...

Great cover! The front is informative and uncluttered with a good map. The back tells the reader just enough about the book to get them interested and wanting to read more. I know I do and I was there when you bought the trunk. Good Job! Kathy

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Sign me up for a couple of copies! Sara

G.Wyatt said...

Wow! What a nice looking cover. Lori said exactly what I was thinking. I've had several friends ask me when they can get a copy. Way to go Patty! Way to go MOM!!!