Friday, August 04, 2006

Life's a Journey. Enjoy the Ride

Camp Irondyke, Eastern Oregon

The thirsty ground baked to powdery dust in the scorching July sun. Twigs and branches crackled underfoot, ready to lap up any offering, whether fire or water. Smoke from nearby fires rose in giant grey plumes on the horizon. And God's people bathed in soothing streams of living water.

Fellowship with friends, old and new, and with family (also old and new) quenched a thirst I didn't know I had. In the middle of the week, we took some time off camp to visit Baker City and its Oregon Trail Interpretive Center. I could just picture the sunbonetted women trudging along beside the covered wagon, day after miserable day. They lived with fear of Indian attack, fear of Cholera and other deadly diseases, and hour after hour of crippling boredom.

I stood in the rut permanantly worn in the landscape by hundreds of thousands of wooden wheels, oxen hooves and tired feet. I imagine the sight of the Blue mountains up ahead broke many a spirit, but most pushed on... and on... and on.


Oregon Christian Writers, Canby Grove. Oregon

I stood in the midst of a crowd of writers (or should they be called a thesaurus of writers?), soaking in knowledge I thirsted to receive. While I appreciate all the advice on writing, publicity, agents, and marketability, what I longed for most, I received-- confirmation.

I wasn't looking for confirmation that my work is good or that I am somehow worthy to be a writer, though I did hear some of that. I wasn't looking for confirmation that I can help out with the family income by writing, though I would have liked to hear it.

What I did hear was, "Life's a journey, enjoy the ride." In other words, be faithful to what God called you to do and don't worry about whether you are successful in any worldly sense of the word. Use your talents and leave it to God whether he wants to use them for masses of people or for one specific soul. Let him grow you along the way and, always, give him the glory.

1 comment:

Anthony Parker said...

Great advice for any vocation.