Saturday, October 07, 2006

First Date

Does every couple have a bad first date story? We had dinner with some friends this week who told us about their first date-- his car broke down so he caught a ride to her house, but she thought they were meeting somewhere else. Her little brother insulted him, he had to ride the bus to get to where she was and, to top the evening off, he had to accept a ride home from a "guy friend" of hers and watch her ride off with the other guy at the end of the date.

For my first date with Edwin, he showed up at the door with Calla Lilies and Mom opened the door and asked, "Who died?" Then, as part of the date, we went to the mall and called his family from a pay phone.

The first thing my dad ever said to my mom (he denies it) was, "You're cute but your dress is too long."

Maybe there's something to facing awkwardness and foibles right up front. These 3 couples have been married 13, 18, and 42 years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't doubt I called her "cute" and she still is... But I have never believed her claim to the other remark. And I'll continue to discredit this awkward little story for the next 42 years too. Now I have said some really stupid things for which she has forgiven me, and I'm trying to do better (Jameswise), so I am grateful to God and wife for the grace I have received Saying "I'm Sorry" and really being sorry has helped with the first 42 years. Consider that confession to be good advice to the rest of you.

Anonymous said...

As my father in law told my husband some years ago, the difference between a married man & a divorced man are the words "I'm sorry".
On our first date, I spent over an hour getting ready, going through about 6 outfits & finally picked a navy blue & white striped dress. I was much thinner then, but still carried a lot of "junk in the trunk". I asked the age old question "does this dress make my butt look big?" He replied "the dress doesnt make your butt look big, your big butt makes your butt look big". Our first date was to a live show of the WIll Rogers Follies (excellent show by the way).
I couldnt help but marry a man that was so honest. We have been together 13 years & married 11.
Kat