Wednesday, October 04, 2006

More on the Status Quo

A couple of days ago I explored the physical things I think I need. Turns out very few of them are actually needs. Most are attempts to keep up with the expectations of society, to find ease and safety. But if I flip my priorities the right way around, I find the truth in Jesus' words: it is difficult, if not impossible, for the rich to enter God's kingdom. If I ever want to fool myself into thinking I am not rich, I just have to open photo albums from Africa to remember what poverty looks like.

But what of the soul? What does my spirit crave? What do I need to thrive?

  • Food - "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. " (John 6:35)
  • Water - "Jesus answered, 'Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.'" (John 4:13-14)
  • Clothing - "You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ." (Galatians 3:26-27)
  • Shelter - "Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings." (Psalm 63:7)
  • Health - "Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:30-31)

Why, if God offers not only what we need, but abundantly, overflowingly more, do I still feel hungry? Why do I thirst yet not drink of what he offers? Why do I feel tired and weak?

I think I, and probably many others, have gone to the wrong source. I attend church on Sunday and expect to be fed. I drink from cultural books about the church and I still feel thirsty. I look for safety in the company of friends only to find that they are flawed and feeble, too.

When I started the first part of this the other day, I was going to conclude with, "the church needs to do this, be this, change this," to meet people's needs, but as I've let my thoughts spill out, I realize that my emphasis was misplaced. If I go to the source, the spring of living water, to fulfill my needs, I will be filled with the overflow of God's rich gifts-- and I'm not talking money here. If I'm overflowing, then I've got something to share.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Patty. I think we expect the church to meet our needs and maybe she can do that better than the world. However, God is the only one who can really fill the longings that we have. All others will leave us feeling empty.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." Matthew 5:6

----Greg Bailey

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Patty. I think we expect the church to meet our needs and maybe she can do that better than the world. However, God is the only one who can really fill the longings that we have. All others will leave us feeling empty.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." Matthew 5:6

----Greg Bailey