Friday, October 13, 2006

Missing Out

This weekend is the World Missions Workshop in Lubbock, TX. I've never attended one in Lubbock, but I've been to similar workshops in Abilene, Searcy, Nashville, Henderson, and Malibu. And no matter where they take place, it's like a big family reunion.

College students, fresh blood, excited to get out there and change the world.

Missionaries with a little experience under their belts, eager to share newly gained wisdom.

Older missionaries, whether still on the field or not, trading war stories and seeking out new recruits.

Missions committee members, teachers, family and friends-- dreamers all. These are the people who not only imagine the world as a better place, but who march out to make it so. These are the people who stand up for what they believe and who change lives on every continent. These are the people who, whether in ignorance or in faith, set aside their own temporary comfort for the eternal comfort of souls. These are the people who hug their children good-bye at the airport, cheering and waving and hiding their tears until the plane takes off.

I love these people. They're my family.

2 comments:

Papa John said...

You and Edwin are being greeted over and over by your mentors and friends and fellow mission folk from multiple nations. I am trying to take pictures for you to visit over when we get home, but I'm so involved in some of these conversations that I seem to have my hanky out a lot and my "lens-finder" is fogged up.

In particular, Mark B. wanted to know all about your current and future plans. He sends his warmest greetings. I'll try to remember all his plans to share later. We had a wonderful time with him.

Sessions are good; classes are different that ever before. The "come-for-fun" crowd has thinned, and the serious seekers are networking, scouring the booths, and creating ad-hoc meetings re. nations, regions, causes, countries, and possible futures.

What a blessing to us. I just hope we can bring a little of it home for you and the MC.

Anonymous said...

I feel sad to have missed this one too...especially at the Alma Mater! I love this post, Patty...