Monday, October 02, 2006

The Status Quo

Is it possible to be content in all circumstances, yet dissatisfied with the status quo?

When the apostle Paul talked about being content in all circumstances, he spoke of his financial situation. He said he'd learned the secret of contendedness whether rich or poor (and, a little more pointedly, whether the Philippians sent him money or not, but thanks for finally sending some). But I don't see that he was content with the state of the church in so many places he visited. He hoped for something better for them-- for freedom from sin, for love toward each other, for growth in the spirit.

Doesn't it feel like we get that upside-down sometimes? I know I do. I find myself complaining about what I can't afford (right now it's the $2500 transmission job that our van desperately needs or another van to replace it), forgetting that there is really very little that I NEED.

  • Food (Even rice and beans is all I need, I certainly enjoy a variety of tastes.)
  • Water (At some point, clean running hot and cold water inside the house became a necessity in the West, but it's really not a need. It's a convenience.)
  • Clothing (In so many places, people have only the clothes on their backs. I can't even keep up with the mounds of laundry we go through around here.)
  • Shelter (A roof, some warmth is nice.)
  • Health (I'm not sure where the idea came from that we should be able to live completely pain-free lives. I like the idea, but it's just not a reality for most people.)

I complain so often because I can't afford this or that, I can't sign the kids up for such-and-such an activity because it's too expensive, but I really have all the physical stuff I need, and more.

In my spiritual walk, though, I sometimes feel like I'm settling for less than what God offered. His grace is abundant, his peace is beyond comprehension, his joy bubbles up and overflows. But I sit back and pat my belly. "No thanks, I'm stuffed," I say, like I'm on some kind of starvation diet.

(to be continued)

No comments: